Here are some basic tips for staying safe on the mat:
- Speak to your doctor before participating in yoga.
- Warm up! Cold muscles, tendons and ligaments are vulnerable to injury.
- Wear clothes that allow proper movement, good fit is a must. Check out this list of clothing suggestions.
- Do your homework! Your first classes will be easier if you watch a video beforehand or study the poses available at Yoga Journal.
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after class.
- Leave your ambition at the door. Yoga is a practice that will keep you interested and challenged for a lifetime. There’s no need to achieve – or even try - everything the first day, week, month, or year.
- Ask for assistance; If you’re unsure whether a pose or movement is right for you, ask the teacher for help.
- If your instructor does hands on adjustment, give them feedback. Let them know whether you prefer gentle or strong adjustments; If you prefer not to be adjusted, let the teacher know before class.